A top policeman allegedly planned to pin the blame for the Hillsborough tragedy on “drunken ticketless Liverpool fans”.
Two days after the 1989 disaster, former inspector at South Yorkshire Police Clive Davis is said to have attended a briefing held by Chief Superintendent Terry Wain, district commander at Rotherham at the time.
Wain allegedly said: "We are going to put the blame for this disaster where it belongs: on the drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans."
He added: "We're going to now go away and gather the evidence to show this."
The jury heard that this included looking for beer cans on the side of the M62 motorway, speaking to residents in and around the Hillsborough ground, and visiting licensed premises and off-licences.
Liverpool EchoTragedy: Fans flood onto pitch at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989
Mr Davis described the strategy outlined at the meeting as a "call to arms” and added, "it just stays in your mind when you've heard something like that."
Mr Davis said that Ch. Supt. Wain had been "given a job to do," and that he would only have been given that job by the direction of the chief constable of South Yorkshire police.
Speaking about what he heard at the meeting, Mr Davis said he was “more perplexed" by the speed of this conclusion than "outraged" and that “it was very early to come to such a decisive, definitive conclusion."
The jury heard that Mr Davis did not formally share his account of the meeting on April 17, 1989, before the Hillsborough Independent Panel report was published in Sept 2012.
He said this was because the culture of South Yorkshire police meant that anyone who raised problems "became the problem” and said he would have had to "walk" and resign from the organisation if he had raised his concerns.
When Mr Davis read the Hillsborough Independent Panel report, he made contact with the Hillsborough Family Support Group and gave his account of the South Yorkshire debriefing on April 17, 1989.
Mr Davis said he was aware that both Ch. Supt. Wain and Chief Inspector Norman Bettison disputed his account of what took place.
Mr Hough, counsel to the inquests, said: "We have been unable to find any record" of the meeting in messages and so on.
Mr Davis said he would expect there to be a record of the meeting he had described.
MirrorpixAccusation: Mr Davis said he was “more perplexed" by the speed of this conclusion
Mr Hough then referred Mr Davis to a documented meeting of CID officers, which took place on the afternoon of April 17, 1989, in which no reference was made to the meeting Mr Davis said took place that morning.
Mr Davis told Mr Hough that this was not normal, but that these were not "normal times."
He said he does not feel he was mistaken about the meeting, adding: "If I did not feel confident that this was the case, I would not be sat here this morning."
The jury heard that Mr Davis was no longer involved in South Yorkshire Police's work on Hillsborough after the meeting on Monday, April 17, but he was aware of colleagues being asked to produce statements, and that some of those statements were being "subject to review and amendment.”
The Inquest continues.
Barney Ronay was online to discuss the midweek fixtures in the Premier League
Watch: Fan yells “John Terry, you’re a racist!” as Chelsea captain climbs Wembley steps to collect Capital One Cup
The Blues skipper was walking up the famous Wembley steps to collect the trophy when he was targeted by a supporter.
A fan could be heard shouting "John Terry, you're a racist" as the 34-year-old made his way through the crowd to pick up Chelsea's first piece of silverware since 2013.
The former England defender was hit by a four-game ban and fined £220,000 by the Football Association in 2012 for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League clash with QPR at Loftus Road the previous year.
Terry was earlier cleared by Westminster Magistrates' Court of racially abusing ex-West Ham man Ferdinand.
Focus ImagesClash: Terry was banned by the FA for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand in 2011
Goals from Terry and Diego Costa earned Jose Mourinho's men a 2-0 victory against London rivals Spurs at Wembley.
The commanding centre-back put in a man-of-the-match display to keep Tottenham hot-shot Harry Kane quiet.
Blues boss Mourinho paid tribute to his skipper and guaranteed he would be handed a new deal at Stamford Bridge, with his current contract due to expire in the summer.
Mourinho said: “Before the end of the season (it will be sorted) for sure but what I can guarantee is he will be a Chelsea player next season because I know what my board tells me and the player tells me so no doubt he is going to get his contract.”
In pictures - Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham
Winston Bogarde is continuing his bid to become a boss in British football by targeting the Oldham job.
The ex-Chelsea rebel, 44, is most famous for refusing to rip up his four-year contract worth £10million at the club despite being frozen out under Gianluca Vialli and Claudio Ranieri.
Instead the former Netherlands international commutepd from Holland into Heathrow, trained with the youth team at the Blues' training ground, then at Harlington, and jetted back again.
Bogarde, signed by Chelsea in 2000 on a free, made just four starts for the club but defiantly insisted at the time: "Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine?
"At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract.
GettyWinner: Bogarde was part of the Ajax team who won the 1995 European Cup
"This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them.
"Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care."
The Dutchman, who lifted the Champions League at Ajax and two titles at Barcelona among a string of successes, quit football in 2005 after failing - unsurprisingly - to find another club.
Last year Bogarde is understood to have applied for the vacant manager's job at Motherwell in Scotland.
Now he is among a number of people interested in taking over at Oldham. Former boss Lee Johnson has quit to join League One rivals Barnsley.
Jan KrugerYet to be replaced: Lee Johnson left Oldham for fellow League One side Barnsley
Oldham chairman Simon Corney has already confirmed an interest in luring Paul Scholes to Boundary Park.
But Corney has also admitted the 40-year-old former Manchester United midfielder's capture is unlikely in the short term.
He told the BBC earlier this week: "We speak on a regular basis.
"Occasionally he comes to training sessions. He's a friend of the club. We know what Paul's all about, he's very low key, he doesn't make a big deal about things. He turns up at the games - never turns up at the directors' box - he turns up with his two lads, flat cap down and you wouldn't even know he was there.
"I would love to have him on board. It's difficult again you have to ask would Oldham be right for Paul. I think one day he will come and manage the club but it's all about timing for him.'
Iain Dowie, Micky Mellon and Alan Irvine are also in the frame.
Bogarde is arguably one of the Premier League's biggest flops. See more below: